Habib - Conor: Madness in Las Vegas
Russian mixed-style fighter Habib Nurmagomedov defended his UFC champion title against Irishman Conor MacGregor. But the scandal after the end of the battle could cost our fighter dearly.
1. The battle of Habib and Conor in Las Vegas surprised and even frightened many in our country. First of all - by their ratings. For the whole country to talk about the sporting event - from schoolchildren to pensioners and from plumbers to professors - this was not the case even during the home football world championship. The motley audience, having hardly got out from under blankets and having opened sleepy eyes on Sunday at seven in the morning, stared in amazement at TVs. I saw a great victory for Nurmagomedov and was horrified.
4. Habib dominated throughout the battle. In the fourth round, he led a choke, Conor gave up.
14. The fight, which he started in the hall of Nurmagomedov after his star rival surrendered, was not exactly staged. The UFC's love for shocking is well known, but the head of this organization, Dana White, is not crazy to risk provoking riots in the 20,000-strong hall filled with heated people.Almost certainly what happened is an exclusively personal initiative of Habib, who now after the hearings in the athletic commission of the state of Nevada runs the risk of losing the title and fighting license.
At a press conference, the Dagestan athlete explained his wild trick with the desire to make the world of mixed martial arts more noble. “Media is changing MMA. But MMA is a sport. This is not treshtok, and sport. And I want to change the rules of the game, ”said Habib, who for a very long time held back in response to McGregor’s dirty statements before the fight. - I do not want anyone to say bad things about opponents, about their fathers, about religion, about nationalities. It is very important for me".
One can argue about the “for the market — answer” method that Nurmagomedov chose for his rebellion against orders in Western MMA. However, in fact, very many people agree with Habib in Russia. It is this, and not the sea of blood spilled in the Las Vegas octagon, that is a significant obstacle for us to truly be ours in the most promising sports business of our time.
Well-known Russian promoter and columnist “SE” Vladimir Hryunov said yesterday that the UFC in its current form should be banned.“Look at the so-called treshtokkingi before the fights - it also settles in the heads of the audience, many of whom are children, and it has already penetrated into Russia,” Hryunov noted. - This is not Russian culture, it is generally incomprehensible to that. Pushing, beating each other and insulting is not the way to sell tickets. The way to sell tickets is the appearance of a hero whom I would like to watch again and again. The villain who represented the subculture of people who can do anything, publicly behaved disgustingly. This is the bottom. This should not happen again. ”
But there is another point of view, which is that MMA is the sport of the future, a place of high concentration of brutality, an outlet for the manifestations of natural cruelty in the super tolerant world. And in this scenario, the nobility in this business simply has no place. The wilder events for ordinary life accompany battles - the better. Our athletes and coaches, of course, hard to accept this point of view. However, social consciousness is a very subtle and inconstant substance.
Once upon a time a respectable public seemed wild to any gymnastics exercises of gentlemen in short shorts, less than a century ago our forefathers stigmatized the bourgeois organizers of the Olympics, and then our grandfathers despised athletes-pros.All these battles against fashion trends did not lead to anything good - sooner or later we had to learn from Western trends, and then long and painfully catch up.
Trithok and scandals of Conor and other fighters of the UFC, with which they attract attention and try to bring rivals out of psychological equilibrium, certainly not for the faint of heart. But this is not the most disgusting thing that happens in the modern world. Other sports also have controversial traditions - what is the awesome hack performed by rugby players from New Zealand and other islanders from Oceania. But it never occurred to anyone to ban twitching before matches for obscenity and belligerence.
It is obvious that the war for nobility in MMA cannot end with the victory of the opponents of treshok and the cult of bad guys. Because the laws of show business and the sports market dictate a completely different approach. And even more so, the attempt to deal with boors by their own methods, which Habib demonstrated in Las Vegas, is a direct path to very sad consequences. Nurmagomedov is a great champion and a star, but outside the UFC and with the possible difficulties of obtaining a US visa, he will be isolated and at risk of fading.
What happened in las vegas
* Habib dominated throughout the battle.In the fourth round, he led a choke, Conor gave up.
* After the fight, Habib threw a cap in the direction of the McGregor team, and then jumped over the net and attacked Dillon Denis, one of Conor's coaches.
* A fight began in the hall with participation of people from the Nurmagomedov and McGregor teams. Habib's friends, Zubair Tukhugov and Esedulla Emiragaev, jumped into the octagon and attacked Conor.
* After the fight, UFC head Dana White, despite the demands of Habib, refused to issue a championship belt in octagon. The argument is security considerations.
* Nurmagomedov left the hall accompanied by the police. Conor's fans threw glasses of beer at him.
* The host of the show announced the victory of Habib at that moment when neither Nurmagomedom nor his opponent were in the octagon
* Police detained three people from the Habib team, but soon they were released.
* Dana White gave a press conference at which he threatened Nurmagomedov with a fine, suspension and disqualification of a US visa. The decision should be made by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
“I’ll be back” (I’ll be back)
“This is certainly not what my father taught me, but it was a matter of honor.”
Dana White, UFC Head
“Habib’s behavior doesn’t deserve that fighter come forward with us.”
Vadim Finkelstein, Russian promoter
“Habib is great! He disassembled Conor and proved that he is a talker ”.