Flower "Christmas Star": the right care for the fuss
The “Christmas Star” flower has recently appeared in flower shops, but has already managed to conquer the hearts of indoor plants lovers! Poinsettia is quite capricious to the living conditions, but with proper care will thank you with beautiful seasonal blooms.
Poinsettia: care during flowering
The Christmas flower is officially called poinsettia. In the people it was so nicknamed because it blooms every winter just at the New Year holidays. As a rule, it is precisely at this time that handsome men of bright red color appear on the shelves of florists - raspberry, pale pink, white and mixed colors are also found.
The appearance of plants is deceptive: in fact, its inflorescences are in the form of small beads, and the bright colors that we see are only pericoloured leaves.
The season from the beginning of one appearance of flowers to the beginning of the next at this houseplant is exactly one year.Since most often it is sold in an already full-blown state, it is necessary to describe the care of flowers, starting from the flowering period, which lasts from December to February:
- provide the “Christmas Star” flower with light and heat - just put it on the south or east window-sill and maintain a constant temperature not lower than + 16-25 degrees Celsius;
- make sure that the plant does not get cold air from the vents, also its leaves should not touch the ice windows - the leaves fall off from any drop in temperature;
- Despite the fact that poinsettia loves heat, the air around it should be humid - spray the flower crown 1-2 times a day and water after the top layer of soil in the pot dries, as when caring for room violets. It should not be allowed to stagnate water, otherwise the roots can rot.
Due to the latter reason, keep poinsettia away from heaters and batteries.
It happens that the "Christmas Star" continues to bloom more than the allotted time. If you want to extend this period, use a complex fertilizer for domestic plants as a top dressing.
Sleep period - features of care
In the middle of winter, the “Christmas Star” gradually sheds bright leaves and goes into hibernation until April. Do not worry - the green leaves may also partially fall off. It is possible to guess the onset of this period by the appearance of green leaves on top of bright perianths.
Help your green pet - create the conditions for a comfortable existence in this state:
- move the flower to a cool dark place with a temperature of about 15 degrees Celsius above zero;
- Using a pruner, get rid of long stems — bare shoots are 7-10 centimeters high;
- reduce watering - now the earthen room in a pot can easily dry out, it will not affect the flower. Quite the contrary: your “Christmas star” will be grateful to you - leaving moisture in an excessive amount during this period may contribute to a premature awakening.
During this period, "Christmas Star" is gaining strength, which was spent on flowering, and resting.
Growth and reproduction of poinsettia
Around mid-April, the flower awakens along with the rest of wildlife enters a phase of active growth and renewal. This period is the longest: it starts in April and lasts until the fall.
Naturally, the care changes as well - poinsettia is actively growing, young stems and leaves appear:
- At the beginning of the season, experienced florists advise to transplant a room flower - it is better to do this every 1-2 years. Pick a loose moisture and air-permeable soil in this ratio: 2 parts of sheet soil, 3 parts of sod soil, one part of peat and sand;
- return the poinsettia to a well-lit window sill or take it out to the garden, but remember that during this period the poinsettia is still too weak to be under the scorching sun all day. Therefore, set it in the shade of a tree or behind a light curtain;
- make sure that the flower does not fall under the draft - the average temperature should be approximately 16-25 degrees above zero Celsius;
- observe the same mode of watering as during flowering.
If you want to feed a starved poinsettia, use universal fertilizers for houseplants with the same content of chemical elements N, P, K in the composition. When using organic fertilizers, the plant begins to grow wildly.
Take care of the formation of the crown of the flower - leave 4-5 largest shoots, and cut the rest with a pruning to the desired length.
Do not throw away leftovers! The “Christmas star” is propagated by cutting: simply lower the cut edges of the branches into a container of water and wait until the first roots appear. After that they can be planted.
Favorable conditions for flowering
From the beginning of autumn until the onset of cold weather begins active preparation for the flowering phase. If you take care of the plant during this period, as a result you will be pleased with a beautiful flower star, similar to a real heavenly body.
Conditions should be as close to natural as possible, otherwise the poinsettia simply will not bloom. Observe a special temperature: 12 hours "Christmas Star" should be in the light, 12 - in the dark, as if really growing on the street.
The effect can be achieved by covering the flower at night with an opaque cardboard box. A natural change of day and night will not be enough for a plant - in the evenings it can be lit by the moon, street lights, your chandeliers and table lamps. All this will increase the waiting time for flowers.
In addition to the main operating conditions for the world, observe the following:
- temperature regime should remain the same as during the active phase of growth;
- The “Christmas Star” should be watered about 2 times a week - when the ground in the pot is half dry;
- fertilize the soil with ornamental plants once a week.
Around the end of November, you can smoothly switch to a content mode similar to the one that is maintained during flowering. Do not forget to provide the plant with enough light.
"Christmas Star" is considered one of the most capricious flowers among the room euphorbia plants. However, if you follow all the rules, you will be rewarded with really beautiful flowering.
Put a flower pot next to any plants of the euphorbia family, orchids or violets - these neighbors only emphasize each other's beauty.
In more detail with the tricks of the content of this flower, you can get acquainted by watching the video: